What is 906 Day?
September 6 is 906 Day, a celebration of America’s greatest area code. No area code in America is so unique in its defined borders. Additionally, no area code is as tightly tied to its demonym as area code 906. For Yoopers, 906 has become a unique symbol to identify the Upper Peninsula and its islands, where the area code is exclusive to the region.
During the early morning of September 6, 2011, I had an epiphany, “Today’s date 9-6 looks awfully like 906.” Quickly I rushed off to send a message out through U.P. Supply Co. and (906) Day was born.
New to the 906? Here’s a blog post from 2008 that began our obsession with this sphenic number. At the time, 906 was only loosely associated with the Upper Peninsula. Today, the presence of 906 can be seen everywhere, from business names, to #906life, countless products, and if you’re in the Upper Peninsula it won’t take you very long to spot a 906 bumper sticker. In fact it has become so synonymous with the U.P. that some people simple call it The 906.
Let’s celebrate the Upper Peninsula, ‘eh!
– Bugsy Sailor
Official Unofficial Ambassador of the Upper Peninsula
Become a participating business
There's plenty of time! Come up with a creative offer, fill out the following form, and we'll get you listed on the website.
Get A Reminder
Ways to Celebrate
- Take a sauna
- Split some wood
- Buy a friend a pasty
- Swim in the Great Lakes
- Play a game of Euchre or Cribbage
- Test your nerves at the Paulding Light
- Live outside the U.P.? Plan a road trip back!
- Make a toast with some Upper Peninsula brews
- Pay for the car behind you at the Mackinac Bridge
- Sing “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” by Gordon Lightfoot
- Go hiking and biking and kayaking and fishing and stone skipping and do all the other -ings
- Breathe in the fresh air and be delighted by this special place, the Upper Peninsula of America!
All about the 906
- CMVI is 906 in Roman Numerals
- And yes, if you flip it, it is identical!
- 906 is the number of Perfect graphs with 7 vertices
- The Porsche 906 was introduced in 1966 with 65 produced
- In 906 AD in China the Tang Dynasty fell to the Sung rule
- Area code 906 is not expected to be exhausted until at least 2042
- Area code 906 is the 6th largest area code east of the Mississippi River
- During the 2010 Census, the town of Caspian, Michigan had a population of 906
- Area code 906 was created in March 19, 1961 as a split from what was area code 616
- 906 is a sphenic number, a positive integer that is the product of three distinct prime numbers (2 × 3 × 151)